Kiwis’ love of cricket will be an important part of the travel recovery when we are able to move again, according to research by Booking.com.
The research, which surveyed both New Zealand and Australian sports fans, suggests that the 2022 men’s and women’s tournaments to be held across Australia and New Zealand have the potential to support the region’s travel resurgence. Sixty nine percent of Kiwi and 62% of Australian fans say they would travel with their family to watch a Cricket World Cup and a substantial percentage of people say they are likely to travel to a destination for cricket even if it is not normally high on the list of places they want to visit (59% NZ, 54% AU).
Cricket is one of the top five activities Kiwi and Aussie sports fans are looking forward to this summer.
1. Going to the beach – 50% NZ, 56% AU;
2. Traveling and exploring different parts of my home country again – 46% both NZ and AU;
3. Catching up with friends over some drinks – 45% NZ, 46% AU;
4. Going to a cricket match – 41% NZ, 42% AU;
5. Barbecuing at a holiday home / bach 40% NZ, 36% (AU).
Booking.com is the official accommodation and bookings partner for all ICC events.